Darlington Hippodrome offers a number of week-long work experience placements throughout the year, for students from schools and colleges throughout Darlington. Work experience provides students with the opportunity to undertake a variety of roles in a number of departments within the organisation, to gain a broad insight into the running of Darlington Hippodrome and inspire future learning and career progression.
Students undertaking work experience at Darlington Hippodrome will work in a number of departments for the week, to provide a broad insight into the variety of roles within a busy theatre environment, and an understanding of how all the departments work together. Students will follow a set timetable for the week, which may involve them working late evenings or weekends, to provide a realistic working environment. Duties may include:
• Helping front of house staff welcome audience members attending a show
• Working with the marketing team developing and distributing promotional material for shows
• Working within the box office to deal with customer enquiries and ticket sales
• Working within our engagement team supporting classes and workshops for members of the public such as Darlington Hippodrome Youth Theatre or Youth Dance
• Accompanying our staff leading tours of the building for members of the public
• Working in our technical team rigging sets and equipment for shows
• Researching our heritage archive
• Learning about our galleries and helping to curate exhibitions
Please note Darlington Hippodrome is a receiving theatre, which means we receive productions along with their sets and costumes. We do not produce work, therefore do not provide work experience in costume or set design, stage management, directing/producing, or acting. Students who are interested in making theatre can join our Hippodrome Youth Theatre.
All students wishing to undertake work experience at Darlington Hippodrome will need to complete the application form which is live on our website when we are open for applications. All applications forms will be considered, however as there are limited places we regret we will not be able to accommodate all requests.
Applications will be prioritised from children and young people who:
• Attend school in Darlington and/or live in Darlington
• Have an active interest in theatre/arts
• Already attend Darlington Hippodrome Youth Theatre or Youth Dance
• Are from the ‘looked after’ sector
APPLICATIONS FOR 2023 ARE NOW CLOSED.
For more information
For more information, please contact Chris Wellings, Audience Development and Participation Officer on (01325) 405510 or by emailing Christopher.Wellings@darlington.gov.uk