About this Resource
Here you will find Darlington Hippodrome’s heritage learning resources, four distinctly themed schemes of work for use by schools in the classroom. The resources are aimed at Key Stage 2/3 but can easily be adapted for younger or older students and those with additional learning needs. The four schemes of work cover the following topics:
Each scheme of work contains:
- Whiteboard slides: colourful PowerPoint slides with photographs, images and historical documents
- Teacher notes: a printable PDF guide with set activities to be used alongside the whiteboard slides
- Resource folders: over 50 printable PDF documents to be used by students including historical theatre programmes, photographs of performers, posters, newspaper articles, cartoon drawings and blank design templates
We’ve produced the resource to help schools:
- Inspire exploration of the Hippodrome and its heritage through a wide range of engaging cross-curricular activities and subject areas including Maths, English, History, Geography and Arts based tasks.
- Raise literacy by revealing the characters, history and stories connected to the Hippodrome, along with the variety of acts which appeared on its stage
- Lead children on a fascinating journey of discovery using the Hippodrome as a stimulus for a Local Study of Darlington.
To complement this resource our learning and engagement team also offers:
These help you explore the theatre’s past and bring to life some of the elements in this resource. Tours are priced at £50 per visit.
These themed boxes, full of artefacts and archive material, can be loaned from the theatre. Discovery Boxes are priced at £50 per half term loan.
These can be arranged in school or at the theatre to explore some of the themes within this resource and can be tailored to your learning objectives.
Darlington Hippodrome is an Arts Award Supporter venue. Arts Award is a nationally recognised qualification for young people, to develop their skills as young artists/arts leaders. By engaging with our heritage resources, young people can complete elements of their Arts Award.
These links are referenced in the teacher notes as:
LINK TO A THEATRE TOUR - IN PURPLE
LINK TO DISCOVERY BOXES - IN BLUE
LINK TO WORKSHOPS - IN GREEN
LINK TO ARTS AWARD – IN RED
To discuss how we can support you with learning and for more information on the above resources, please contact Lyndsey Middleton, Audience Development and Participation Officer on 01325 405510 or email email@example.com.